Sweet red pepper jelly is one of my favourite appetizers. The first time I ever had this kind of jelly was at a farmers market. The vendor had different pepper jellies. Some were spicy and others were sweet. He had some crackers and cream cheese to go with the jelly.
I kept circling back to the vendor to try the different kinds he had. Eventually, I bought a couple jars. Then the next week I bought some more. I did it again the week after that. I became a regular purchase for me every time we went to the market.
It was much later on, that I learned how to make pepper jelly. I try to make a batch every year. While, I make lots of pepper jelly for us because it is excellent to snack on, it is also great to throw in a gift basket for friends and family. People always love getting a jar of this stuff.
I have made many different jelly recipes using peppers and onions. If you have never made a savoury jelly, you could try this red pepper jelly or any of the ones below.
- Habanero Jelly – This jelly is quite hot and one of my favourites! It is incredible on burgers.
- Jalapeno Jelly – This jelly has a medium heat.
- Zesty Red Onion Jelly – With such a unique flavour, this jelly is always a fan favourite.
I really like spicy jellies, but not everyone in the family likes the heat, so this sweet red pepper jelly is nice and mild.
Sweet Red Pepper Jelly
- 4 red sweet peppers , cored and seeded
- 3 tbsp pectin crystals
- ⅔ cup white or cider vinegar
- ½ tsp butter or margarine
- 3⅓ cups sugar
- Place all the peppers in a food processor and pulse until chopped finely.
- Transfer the chopped peppers to a large pot with the remaining ingredients.
- Heat to boiling and continue to boil for about 15-18 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Skim any foam which accumulates at the top and remove from stove element.
- While the jelly is still hot, ladle it into hot jars, leaving a ¼ inch headspace.
- Screw on lids and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Sprinkle pectin evenly bottom of the pot fitted with the stirrer. Add peppers, vinegar and butter on top of the pectin. Press the Jelly button and press the – (minus) button, until the time reads 23 minutes. Press enter to start the machine. Wait 4 minutes for the machine to beep. Add the sugar and cover with the lid.