These nachos are simple to make. They are perfect for a weeknight meal, for a party, or as a snack while watching the game.
Our family absolutely loves appetizers, and these Tex-Mex chicken nachos are one of our favourites! I have made these so many times and when I do, I need to make two large baking sheets of the nachos. We serve them with some sour cream, salsa or pico de Gallo and maybe even a bowl of guacamole. Okay, I want these for dinner again tonight!
What Makes these the Ultimate Nachos?
I love a nacho with lots of stuff. These Tex-Mex chicken nachos are filled with flavour because they have so many toppings. Everything goes so well together to ensure that each bite is filled with goodness. The chili seasoned chicken gives that Tex-Mex vibe. I especially love the fresh veggies, black olives and fresh jalapeño peppers – they make these nachos incredible.
Ingredients You Will Need
Here is the list of ingredients for the ultimate tex-mex chicken nachos:
- Tortilla nacho chips
- Cooked chicken breast, cubed
- Red onion
- Red Pepper
- Sliced black olives
- Fresh jalapeño peppers
- Chili powder
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Grated Monterey jack
- Fresh cilantro
Get a large baking stone or metal baking sheet and spread the tortilla chips evenly across the stone/sheet. Sprinkle about half of the grated cheese all over the tortilla chips. I use a blend of cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, but you can feel free to use all cheddar, all Monterey Jack, or some other blend of cheeses.
Seasoning the Chicken
I like to toss the chunks of chicken in a little bit of chili powder and sugar to give each bite of these nachos that Tex-Mex flavour. Once the meat has been coated in the seasoning, spread the chicken all over the chips and cheese.
Nachos are all about the toppings and these Tex-Mex chicken nachos do not disappoint. Once you have added the chicken, spread the diced red onion and red pepper evenly across the chips.
Sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese, followed by the sliced black olives and jalapeño peppers. The layers of cheese and toppings will melt together to ensure that everything stays on the nacho chips when they are lifted off after baking. There is nothing more frustrating than grabbing a nacho chip and all the toppings fall off because there is not enough cheese. You do not need to worry about that with these ultimate nachos.
How Long to Bake Nachos
Place the nachos in a 400F oven for 12-17 minutes. The cheese should be melted, bubbly and starting to brown. I find that the time to bake these nachos will vary depending on what you are baking them on. If you are using a baking stone, they will take closer to the 17 minutes, while a metal baking sheet will cook much more quickly, and will be ready to come out of the oven around 12 minutes or so.
If you are looking for some other dishes that are great alongside these Tex-Mex chicken nachos, then check out these recipes:
Ultimate Tex-Mex Chicken Nachos
- 350 g tortilla chips , or 12oz bag
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast , cubed
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 large red onion , peeled and diced
- 1 large red pepper , cored and diced
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- 2 jalapeno peppers , thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro , chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Spread tortilla nacho chips on baking sheet or baking stone.
- In a large bowl, toss the cubed chicken breast with the chili powder and sugar until all coated in the seasoning.
- Sprinkle about half of the grated cheese over the tortilla chips.
- Spread the seasoned chicken breast, red onion, and red pepper over the tortilla chips.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Top with sliced black olives and jalapeno peppers.
- Bake in the oven for 12-17 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro. Serve with pico de Gallo, guacamole, or sour cream.