Yesterday I shared one of my favourite ingredient pairings. Butter crunch toffee alongside chocolate tastes decadent and delicious and yesterday’s recipe if Chocolate Chip Skor Toffee Cookie Bars were outstanding. Another ingredient pairing that I love is jalapeno pepper and cheddar cheese. Everything from jalapeno poppers, biscuits, tacos and salad – jalapeno along with cheddar cheese tastes wonderful.
This morning I was craving a savory cookie and knew that I had some fresh jalapeno peppers in the fridge. Truth be told, I almost always have jalapenos in the fridge. Shortbread cookies are a great way to make a savory cookie. I cut the sugar in half from my regular shortbread cookie recipe and add various savory ingredients. It is amazing how well they turn out.
These cookies are icebox shortbread, meaning that they are rolled into logs, chilled and then cut into slices. So easy and so delicious. The jalapeno and cheddar work so well alongside the buttery shortbread.
Be careful when handling the dough as the jalapeno juice could get on your hands and sting. You may want to use disposable plastic gloves.
Chilling the cookie dough logs allows you to cut even slices creating uniform cookies.
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup jalapeno, seeded and minced
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Slowly beat in the flour until it is fully combined and is an even consistency.
- Mix in the cheddar cheese and minced jalapeno pepper.
- Divide the cookie dough in thirds. Roll each portion into an 8 inch log. Chill the logs in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven for 350F.
- Cut each log into ½ inch cookie slices as seen in the photo above. You should get about 16 slices per log. Place the cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.