Pepper jelly is a great appetizer and we love it on crackers with cream cheese. I often make spicy versions like Habanero Jelly and Jalapeno Jelly. Not everyone in the family likes the heat, so this sweet red pepper jelly is nice and mild.
Sweet Red Pepper Jelly
- 4 red sweet peppers , cored and seeded
- 3 tbsp pectin crystals
- ⅔ cup white or cider vinegar
- ½ tsp butter or margarine
- 3⅓ cups sugar
- Place all the peppers in a food processor and pulse until chopped finely.
- Transfer the chopped peppers to a large pot with the remaining ingredients.
- Heat to boiling and continue to boil for about 15-18 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Skim any foam which accumulates at the top and remove from stove element.
- While the jelly is still hot, ladle it into hot jars, leaving a ¼ inch headspace.
- Screw on lids and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Sprinkle pectin evenly bottom of the pot fitted with the stirrer. Add peppers, vinegar and butter on top of the pectin. Press the Jelly button and press the – (minus) button, until the time reads 23 minutes. Press enter to start the machine. Wait 4 minutes for the machine to beep. Add the sugar and cover with the lid.