These dessert squares with raspberries and oat crumble are sweet, tangy and totally delicious. Raspberries, oats, brown sugar, butter, flour and more

Raspberry Crumble Bars

I need to make a confession. I look for any opportunity to make oat crumble. The combination of oats, brown sugar and butter – they all work together to make something sweet, crunchy, and totally delicious.

So, after I picked a bunch of raspberries at Millar Berry Farms, I knew that I was going to make some sort of raspberry crumble. These are quite similar to the way that I make apple crisp, but, the middle is with raspberries instead of apples.

Mixing the fresh berries with a little flour and sugar turn the middle into something similar to a fruit pie filling.

These crumble bars have a wonderful combination of sweet and tang. Once made, they can be cut and then frozen for a couple months. That is a great way to store them if they do not all get eaten right away. They are that good!

Raspberry Crumble Squares-9

I love raspberries and have made many different recipes featuring these delicious tart berries. Here are some other great raspberry recipes.

Raspberry Crumble Bars

• 2 pints (4 cups) fresh raspberries
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 350F.
  • Mix the flour, oats, brown sugar and baking powder in a bowl. Stir in the melted butter until it forms a wet crumbly consistency.
  • Take about two thirds of the crumble mixture and dump it into an ungreased 13x9 pan.
  • Mix together the raspberries, sugar, flour and lemon juice so the raspberries are well coated.
  • Spread the raspberry mixture evenly across the crumble base.
  • Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture evenly on top.
  • Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes.
  • Cool on a wire rack and then cut into squares.

Raspberry Crumble Squares-8pin

Categories

Did you try this recipe?

Leave a comment and let me know how it turned out. Or, take a picture to share on Instagram and tag me @theblackpeppercorn.

35 comments

• Yum! These looks so good! I love raspberries and I love oat crumble like you do. I used to make oat crumble by itself to eat when I was a teenager lol Thanks for the recipe!

• What kind of oats did you use? Old fashioned? Quick?

• I was wondering if you have tried freezing these and how they came out when thawed? I have a ton of raspberries right now so I thought I would make a few batches and freeze them. They are so good.

• I have not frozen these but I have frozen similar bars and they came out just fine!

• I have frozen them and they’re still good!

• These are delicious! I just made them and love them! Thanks for sharing!

• Making these a second time! Great way to use up my homegrown raspberries, other recipes only call for jam instead of fresh berries.

• Very good! Difficult to find recipes for fresh raspberries.

• So easy and delicious. Used a little less butter as it was all I had and it worked great despite!

• Only the second thing that I have ever baked and these were a big hit. I even got compliments from a professional baker! Love the fresh raspberry part.

• Glad you enjoyed it! Yes the fresh raspberries are great.

• Have you ever made these with frozen raspberries?

• I have not tried it with frozen berries. Might work fine, but you may find it is a little runny.

• I make it with frozen all the time. I just let the juices drain for a couple hours before I make it. It’s more of a jam look. My family loves these. My husband calls them oatmeal cookies on steroids!

• Lol

• Really delicious! The raspberries were nice and tart and the bars had a pretty good balance between sweet and sour. I ended up using a little less butter than called for (about 3/4 cup) and it turned out fine

• These are absolutely delicious!!!! How do I freeze them? I want to make more!

• I have frozen these and they freeze quite well. I would suggest you cut them into bars and place them in a plastic storage container, making sure there is a little space between bars so they do not freeze together. I also place parchment paper between layers of bars.

• I had a huge bucket of fresh raspberries and had no clue what to do with them. After looking at tons of different recipes I picked this one. It did not disappoint! The fruit center has the most wonderful texture and the treats where not watery or soggy at all. Delicious!

• I tried this today and it turned out great! I replaced the sugar with coconut sugar (following America’s test kitchen recommendation for replacement measurments). Have you ever tried with with another fruit? I’m thinking a blueberry or strawberry, and wondering if they would blend well with the flour, sugar, and lemon juice.

• Tried it with frozen raspberries (we have a lot left from last summer) and they turned out delicious, I gave it an extremely 10 minutes in the oven because the berries were frozen.

• Glad it turned out well and thanks for sharing your tip with frozen berries!

• It’s the middle of March and raspberries are pretty expensive so I used frozen and they turned out great. I used a tip from another person here and gave them an extra few minutes and they were not runny at all.

• I baked last week for morning tea in my church. So many people gave thumb up and asked me the recipe. I made slightly different with the ecipe, I put 1/4 cup instead of 1/2 cup granulated sugar when I mix it with raspberries. And After 30 minutes baking, I took it out and scatter 2 pinches of granulated sugar, and bake for about 5 minutes. Turned AWESOME too.

• These are PERFECTION! Our whole party could not get enough and EVERYONE wanted the recipe. If you are reading this, WHY ARE YOU NOT ALREADY MAKING THEM?? They are that good. Followed the recipe as written. This is going to be an annual tradition for us!

• I just made these and they are amazing! The only thing i would do is make a little extra crumble so the crust is a little thicker. I will definitely make these again.

• Great, easy recipe. I made these with my 3 year old granddaughter and she did all the work (except melting butter). Turned out perfectly and she now fells like a real baker. Grown-ups loved them too!!

• Excellent recipe! I grow raspberries and there so prolific I was at a loss as to what to do with them. Now to experiment with your other recipes . Thank you 😁

• So glad you stopped by and enjoyed these bars! I would love to hear what other recipes you try!

• Lovely results, went straight in my favourites. I did tinker, adding 1tsp cinnamon and of vanilla essence to the topping and cutting the sugar down by a third, replacing plain with self raising as I can’t eat baking powder. Filling half blackberries as that’s what I had, omitted lemon juice and used used potato flour to thicken with again a third less sugar. Needed 45 mins to get a good colour in my oven.

• Super easy and yummy!!

Subscribe to the newsletter and never miss a recipe!