Sheet Pan Salmon with Potatoes and Mixed Vegetables
It is back to school week here and life is already starting to get hectic. With school drop offs, pick ups and driving to various after school activities, finding time to make dinner can be stressful and add to a busy day. That is why I love sheet pan meals like this one with salmon, mini potatoes and mixed vegetables.
For this recipe, I used frozen salmon filets. I keep a few packages of these in the freezer all the time. They are great for days like this when you come home and need to get dinner going fast.
This meal is just perfect for weeknight meal and it is so healthy and delicious. The mini potatoes are fluffy and the vegetables are amazing. I topped the salmon with sliced navel oranges and fresh thyme for a bright citrusy flavour.
Other Great One Pan Meals
I have a few other ‘one pan’ or ‘skillet’ meals. Here are some great recipes that both delicious and easy to prepare!!
- Sheet Pan Roast Chicken and Vegetables
- Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Vegetables
- Baked Pork Chops with Apples and Peppers
- Chicken Cutlet with Broccoli and Peppers in a Dill Cream Sauce
- Skillet Corn with Sausage
- Baked Eggs in a Cast Iron Skillet
- Skillet Shepherd’s Pie
How to Cook a Sheet Pan Dinner
One of the most important aspects of cooking a one pan meal is recognizing that different ingredients require different lengths of cooking. To ensure that somethings are not overcooked, the best thing to do is add the food in stages.
For this meal, the potatoes need much more time than the salmon. They even need more than the vegetables. With that in mind, place the potatoes on the sheet pan first.
After the potato halves are tossed in some oil, place them on half of the sheet pan lined with parchment paper. I like to put them, flat side down so that they crisp up nicely. Bake them in a 425F oven for 25 minutes.
After the potatoes have baked for 25 minutes, take the sheet pan out of the oven.
Toss the vegetables (minus the grape tomatoes), in some oil and evenly spread them on the other half of the sheet pan.
Put it back in the oven and bake for another 25 minutes.
So far there has been a total of 50 minutes in the oven. Take the sheet pan out of the oven. It is time to flip the potatoes over. They should be beautifully golden brown on the cut side.
Push the potatoes and veggies each to their side of the sheet pan, making room in the middle for the salmon filets.
Using Frozen Salmon
As I mentioned earlier, I use frozen salmon filets in this recipe. The picture above is the kind that I typically purchase. They are economical and easy to prepare. I have some in the freezer ready to go at a moments notice. They are actually baked frozen, so you do not need to thaw them first.
If you want to use fresh salmon filets, it will totally work as well. Be aware that the cooking time may vary.
Place the frozen salmon filets on the baking sheet in the middle opened up area. Brush the salmon with melted butter and top with sprigs of fresh thyme and orange slices.
Spread the grape tomatoes across the mixed vegetables and season everything with salt and pepper.
Put the sheet pan back in the oven for another 25 minutes, or until the salmon is cooked through. Once finished, take the baking sheet out of the oven and sprinkle the vegetables with some parmesan cheese.
I love how simple this recipe is and the timing at each stage is the same 25-25-25. It makes it so easy.
This recipe is so good. The potatoes are browned and crispy on the outside, but soft and fluffy in the middle. The roasted vegetables are perfectly cooked and have so much flavour. The salmon is delicious and I love the combination of orange and thyme which goes perfectly well with fish.
If weeknights are busy and you are looking for a simple dinner idea, this sheet pan meal is perfect!
Sheet Pan Salmon, Potatoes and Mixed Vegetables
- 20-25 mini potatoes , halved
- 4 tbsp oil , divided
- 1/2 medium onion , thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow pepper , diced
- 2 medium zucchini , cut into chunks
- 2 cups mushrooms , quartered
- 4 frozen salmon fillets , approx 100g each
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 navel oranges , sliced
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 12 grape tomatoes , halved
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Toss the mini potato halves with 2 tbsp of the oil. Spread, cut side down, on half of a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Toss the onion, pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms with remaining 2 tbsp of oil. Spread the vegetables on the empty half of the baking sheet. Put back in the oven and bake for another 25 minutes.
- Take the baking sheet out of the oven. Flip the mini potatoes over. Make some room for the salmon in the middle of the baking sheet, by pushing the potatoes and vegetables each over to their side of the baking sheet.
- Place the frozen salmon filets on the baking sheet and brush them with melted butter. Place the sprigs of thyme and orange slices on top of the salmon filets.
- Spread the grape tomato halves on top of the baked vegetables. Season everything with salt and pepper.
- Put the baking sheet back in the oven and bake for another 25 minutes or until the salmon is cooked through.
- Take the baking sheet out of the oven when the salmon is finished cooking and sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top of the mixed vegetables.
- Serve immediately.