What a weekend! I was asked to be the speaker for a church’s spring retreat. This particular church was one that I was the youth pastor at more than ten years ago. It was a wonderful privilege to open God’s Word along with them throughout the weekend and a great joy to reconnect with many old friends.
It was amazing because it felt like we had stayed connected with many of these people when it had actually been many years since we had seen them. The weekend was a lot of fun, the weather was great, and the retreat centre was the perfect getaway from the big city of Toronto.
Today’s recipe is a classic. Beef barley soup is one of my favourite kinds of soup and I am not sure why, but I do not actually make it all that often. Whenever I do cook up a big pot of this soup, I vow to make it more frequently. Yes it is spring and you might think of soup as a fall or winter meal, but beef barley works for me any day of the year!
This soup has a rich and silky broth and is hearty, packed with beef, carrots, onion, celery and lots of barley!
Homemade Beef Barley Soup - easy recipe
- 1 cup onion , chopped
- 1 cup celery , chopped
- 1 cup carrots , chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups stewing beef , finely chopped
- 6 cups water
- 6 cups beef broth
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- In a large soup pot, cook onions, celery and carrots with the butter. Once the onions and celery are tender, about 6-8 minutes, stir in the beef.
- Cook, stirring often, until the beef is cooked. This should take another 6-8 minutes.
- Add the water, beef broth and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Let the soup cook at a low rolling boil for30-45 minutes. The barley should be fully cooked and the beef should be tender.