Mozzarella sticks are one of our favorite appetizers. They are crispy on the outside and gooey in the middle. It is awesome to pull one apart and see the melted mozzarella cheese. Marinara sauce is the perfect dip for these deep fried cheese sticks.
Making mozzarella sticks is easy by using cheese strings. Cut them in half and they are the perfect sized appetizer. We always have cheese strings in our fridge all the time for school lunches, so they are ready for this deep fried treat any time we are in the mood!
Mozzarella sticks are highly addictive. It might be necessary to over-estimate how many you need to make as they will get gobbled up quickly!
Set up three bowls for the three stage breading process.
Bowl one – flour.
Bowl two – whisk together the eggs and milk.
Bowl three – mix together the panko bread crumbs and seasonings.
Cut the cheese strings in half. This makes the perfect size of mozzarella sticks.
Toss the cheese in the flour so that it is totally coated. Make sure you also coat the ends of the cheese sticks with the flour. Dust off any excess flour.
Dunk the cheese stick in the egg and milk mixture. Ensure that it is all coated and then lift it out and let any excess liquid drain off.
Dredge the cheese sticks in the seasoned panko. Gently roll it around to coat all sides of the cheese.
Place the cheese sticks on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer for at least an hour.
Deep fry the cheese sticks at 355F for about 2 minutes. Serve with marinara sauce.
- 8 mozzarella cheese strings
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp parsley
- marinara sauce , for dipping
- Set up 3 bowls for breading the cheese sticks. Put the flour in bowl 1. Whisk together the eggs and milk in bowl 2. Mix the panko, salt, garlic powder and parsley in bowl 3.
- Cut the cheese strings in half.
- Toss the cheese strings in the flour. Shake off any excess flour.
- Dip in the egg mixture. Drain any excess liquid off the cheese sticks.
- Dredge in the panko. Make sure all of the cheese stick is coated in bread crumbs.
- Place breaded cheese sticks on a cookie sheet. Put in the freezer for at least an hour.
- Preheat deep fryer to 355F.
- Deep fry in batches for about 2 minutes. Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with marinara sauce.