Simple instructions for how to make mozzarella sticks with cheese strings. It is the perfect appetizer for any party!
Mozzarella sticks are one of our favorite appetizers. They are crispy on the outside and gooey in the middle. It is awesome to pull one apart and see the melted mozzarella cheese. Marinara sauce is the perfect dip for these deep fried cheese sticks. It is very easy to learn how to make homemade mozzarella sticks!
Making mozzarella sticks at home is easy by using cheese strings. Cut them in half and they are the perfect sized appetizer. We always have cheese strings in our fridge all the time for school lunches, so they are ready for this deep fried treat any time we are in the mood!
Mozzarella sticks are highly addictive. It might be necessary to over-estimate how many you need to make as they will get gobbled up quickly!
Get everything ready
Set up three bowls for the three stage breading process.
- Dump the flour into bowl one.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk in bowl two.
- Mix together the panko bread crumbs and seasonings into bowl three.
How to bread mozzarella cheese
- Cut the cheese strings in half. This makes the perfect size of mozzarella sticks.
- Toss the cheese in the flour so that it is totally coated. Make sure you also coat the ends of the cheese sticks with the flour. Dust off any excess flour.
- Dunk the cheese stick in the egg and milk mixture. Ensure that it is all coated and then lift it out and let any excess liquid drain off.
- Dredge the cheese sticks in the seasoned panko. Gently roll it around to coat all sides of the cheese.
Don’t skip the freezer step!
Place the cheese sticks on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer for at least an hour. It does not take long to cook these cheese sticks in the deep fryer. The cheese melts so fast, that it is good to have them frozen so that the breading has time to brown before the cheese oozes all out.
How long to deep fry mozzarella sticks
Heat the oil in the deep fryer to 355F. Once the oil has come to temperature, slowly drop in a handful of breaded cheese sticks. Let them cook for about 2 minutes. Turn them over after a minute, so that all sides of the breading can brown.
Take them out of the oil and place them on a plate lined with a paper towel. This will allow the excess oil to drain. After resting for about one minute, serve the cheese sticks with marinara or pizza sauce.
Other recipes for the deep fryer
If youare looking for some more deep fried appetizers, then check out these recipes!
- 8 mozzarella cheese strings
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 1 cup marinara sauce , for dipping
- Set up 3 bowls for breading the cheese sticks. Put the flour in bowl 1. Whisk together the eggs and milk in bowl 2. Mix the panko, salt, garlic powder and parsley in bowl 3.
- Cut the cheese strings in half.
- Toss the cheese strings in the flour. Shake off any excess flour.
- Dip in the egg mixture. Drain any excess liquid off the cheese sticks.
- Dredge in the panko. Make sure all of the cheese stick is coated in bread crumbs.
- Place breaded cheese sticks on a cookie sheet. Put in the freezer for at least an hour.
- Preheat deep fryer to 355F.
- Deep fry in batches for about 2 minutes. Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with marinara sauce.