I think that everyone has a ‘go-to’ dish that they regularly make for family reunions, church picnics, pot lucks etc. For some it may be a potato salad, or green bean casserole. For others it might be lasagna or cheesecake.
Well, this Fiesta Salad is what I typically bring to any pot luck or family gathering. I have made it for years and it is often expected that I bring my Fiesta Salad.
The Fiesta Salad is amazing. The ingredients provide a nice Mexican flavour and the comination of cilantro and lime juice give the salad a bright fresh taste. I have regularly refused to give out this recipe to anyone who asks.
Many in my family will actually be surprised to see it on my blog. I give this recipe out with one condition; no one in my family can bring it to a family gathering. OK? 🙂
- 1 can black beans drained
- 1 can corn drained
- 1 red pepper cored and diced
- 1/2 English cucumber diced
- 1/2 sweet onion diced finely
- 1 jalapeno pepper (optional) cored and diced finely
- 1/3 cup cilantro washed and minced
- 1/3 cup lime juice (2 or 3 limes usually)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Toss black beans, corn, red pepper, cucumber, onion and cilantro in a large bowl.
- In a separate container mix the oil, lime juice, sugar and salt together until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the dressing on the salad and stir until everything is coated. Let the salad marinate in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- Serve cold.