This gnocchi dish is surprisingly simple to make, yet tastes like a dish you would order at a restaurant. It is great as the main or as a side dish.
We love pasta and enjoy mixing it up with different shapes. Gnocchi, while not technically a pasta, is delicious and a great option if you love pasta. My favourite way to serve pasta is with a creamy sauce with sun dried tomatoes, garlic and parmesan cheese. So good!
The sun dried tomato cream sauce is silky smooth and has a delicate flavour that matches the gnocchi perfectly. Simple to make, with few ingredients, this whole meal can be made in less than 30 minutes. It is a great weeknight meal.
How To Make The Cream Sauce
Cut the sun dried tomatoes into thin slices. Melt the butter a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the sliced tomatoes. Cook, stirring often for 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for one minute more.
Pour in the cream as well as the salt and pepper. Once the cream is close to coming to a boil, reduce heat to low and stir in the parmesan cream. Simmer for a for 4-7 minutes more.
Expert Tip! If the sun dried tomatoes are dried, it is important to rehydrate them prior to making the cream sauce. Soak them in warm water for 30 minutes, or until they are soft and pliable.
How To Cook Gnocchi
Cooking gnocchi is very easy and if you have cooked pasta, then you know exactly how to cook gnocchi. Bring a big pot of water to a boil. Make sure that there is a lot more water than there is gnocchi, since they will absorb a lot of the water, during cooking.
Once the water is boiling, add the gnocchi and stir. Cook until they are soft and tender. The amount of time that it takes to cook gnocchi can vary depending on how fresh they are. Most packages will tell you how long to boil the gnocchi. I find that 3-5 minutes is how long it takes for the gnocchi to be cooked through. Very fresh gnocchi, or homemade gnocchi usually cooks faster.
Drain the gnocchi and stir in the sauce. Make sure not to rinse the gnocchi since the starch allows the sauce to cling to the gnocchi.
Even though it doesn’t seem difficult to make, I have never tried to make gnocchi from scratch. That will be my next endeavor with gnocchi. The store bought gnocchi was still delicious, light and fluffy.
More Pasta Dishes
If you are looking for more pasta ideas for dinner, then check out these recipes!
Gnocchi with Sun Dried Tomato Cream Sauce
- 2 pounds gnocchi
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 1/2 cup 10% cream (half and half)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- If the sun dried tomatoes are dry and hard then they need to be rehydrated. Soak them in warm water for 30 minutes, or until soft and pliable. Drain.
- Cut the sun dried tomatoes into thin slices.
- Melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Add the sun dried tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes to bring out the flavour in the tomatoes.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for just under a minute. Once you can smell the aroma from the garlic, stir in the cream, salt and pepper.
- Heat up the sauce just to the boiling point. Once the cream is just about to boil, lower the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese. Simmer on very low heat for 4-7 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, boil the gnocchi according to the directions on the package. Drain, but do NOT rinse the gnocchi. The starch helps the sauce cling to the gnocchi.
- Stir the gnocchi with the sauce until evenly coated.
- Serve immediately.