Today we are going to put up the Christmas tree. The kids are uber excited and always like to participate in the decorating. Each year my wife and I buy the kids an ornament for the tree. Last night they were remembering last years ornaments they received. It reminded me how much I love the holiday season.
As we decorate the Christmas tree I think that I will put together a small tray of the Christmas baking. It is hard to believe but I have tasted only a few of the cookies and squares so far. Most have just been packed up and thrown in the freezer.
Today’s recipe is for lemon bars. This is the second last dessert in the 24 Days of Christmas baking. As I put it in the freezer I realized that there is room for only one more box – #24.
I am drooling as I am typing this. These squares have already been cut, packed in a tupperware and thrown into the freezer, but I may have to go down there are grab one to satisfy this craving!
Lemon zest and juice are used in the filling. It is easier to zest the lemon before to cut it to juice the lemon.
I find lemon bars to be absolutely irresistable. The shortbread base is the perfect crust and the tangy yet sweet lemon filling is to-die-for. As it bakes a thin crispy layer if formed on top of the filling. Then I sprinkle some icing sugar on top. So delicious!
- 2 cups + 4 tbsp flour
- 2 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 4 eggs
- 4 tsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Icing sugar for garnish
- Mix the 2 cups flour, 1/4 cup icing sugar and 1/4 cup sugar together in a bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until it forms a shortbread consistency.
- Press the crust in a 13x9 pan and bake in a 350F oven for 18-20 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the 2 cups sugar until smooth. Add the lemon juice and zest. Separately mix the 4 tbsp flour with the baking powder. Beat that into the filling mixture.
- Pour the lemon filling over the crust and bake at 350F for 22-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Chill in the fridge for at least an hour so that the squares cut easily.
- Dust with icing sugar and cut into squares.