These breakfast sandwiches are perfect with homemade breakfast sausage. They are also excellent with bacon or ham as well!
One of my favourite ‘breakfasts on the go’ whenever I am out and about, is a sausage and egg breakfast sandwich. There are many different fast food restaurants and coffee shops that have these on their menu. While I love ordering these for take out, I also enjoy making them at home as well.
- English muffins – I love these for breakfast sandwiches, but you could also use bagels, biscuits and even croissants.
- Sausage – this homemade breakfast sausage is perfect for the sandwiches. But, store-bought sausage will also work great.
- Cheese – sliced cheddar is my cheese of choice, but there are many other types of cheese which also work great. Feel free to mix it up with another kind.
Expert Tip! Feel free to swap the breakfast sausage with other meats for a different type of breakfast sandwich. Bacon, ham, pea meal or back bacon all re great options and work very well in these sandwiches.
How To Fry Sausage Patties
Take a small handful of sausage meat and form them into a flat patty. Place in a frying pan with a little bit of oil, and cook over medium to medium low heat. Once the sausage is browned on the bottom side, flip over and continue to cook on the other side.
Once the sausage patties are fully cooked, remove from the skillet and place on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain any excess grease.
I like to use the same frying pan that was used to cook the sausage to fry the eggs. If it needs a little extra oil, add it to the pan. Crack the eggs and dump them in the skillet. Use a spatula to break the yolk and shape them into a similar size to the sausage patties.
Once the whites of the eggs are no longer translucent, flip the eggs and continue to fry until cooked through.
How To Assemble A Breakfast Sandwich
Split open the English muffin and toast them to your desired level. Place a slice of cheese, a fried egg and cooked breakfast sausage patty into each toasted English muffin. Serve them immediately.
What About Sauce? If you would like to add a sauce to these breakfast sandwiches, you could use ketchup, mayo or try some of these sauce recipes: Homemade Big Mac Sauce, Chipotle Lime Cream Sauce, Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce.
More Breakfast Recipes
If you are looking for some more breakfast ideas, then check out these recipes!
- Bacon and Spinach Fritatta
- Baked Eggs in a Cast Iron Skillet
- Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
- Huevos Rancheros
Sausage and Egg Breakfast Sausage
- 1/2 pound breakfast sausage
- 4 slices cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 4 English muffins
- 2 tbsp oil
- Shape the breakfast sausage meat into 4 flat equal sized patties.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium to medium low heat. Place sausage patties in the skillet and cook until the bottom sized has browned. Flip patties over and continue to fry them until cooked through. Remove them from the skillet and place them on a plate lined with paper towel to drain any excess grease.
- Crack eggs into the skillet and break the yolk with spatula. Shape the egg to match the size of the sausage patties. Cook until the white of the egg are no longer translucent. Flip and continue to fry the eggs until cooked through.
- Open the English muffins and toast them to your desired toasted level.
- Assemble the breakfast sandwiches my placing a cooked sausage patty, fried egg and slice of cheese in each toasted English muffin.